Woodfield Grove Tennis Club is committed to prioritising the well-being of all children and adults at risk, promoting safeguarding at our club at all times, including all programmes and events we run.
Our Policy strives to minimise risk, deliver a positive tennis experience for everyone and respond appropriately to all safeguarding concerns and/or disclosures.
It is applicable to all staff, volunteers, committee members, coaches, club members and those individuals visiting the club for coaching, playing and/or social purposes.
It is in line with national legislation, which is applicable across the UK.
Safeguarding is everyone’s responsibility, and not responding to a safeguarding concern is simply not an option.
Contact the Club’s Welfare Officer, Carole Britton, if you have any concerns about a child or adult at risk, whatever the circumstances, whether they refer to the club or not:
What to do if a disclosure from a child or adult at risk is made to you
- Reassure the child/adult that s/he is right to report the behaviour
- Listen carefully and calmly to him/her
- Keep questions to a minimum – and never ask leading questions
- Do not promise secrecy. Inform him/her that you must report your conversation to the Welfare Officer and/or LTA Safeguarding Team (and the police in an emergency) because it is in his/her best interest
- REPORT IT!
- If someone is in immediate danger call the police (999), otherwise talk to the club Welfare Officer and/or the LTA Safeguarding Team as soon as possible. Once reported, these people will work with you to ensure the safety and well-being of the child/adult at risk
- Do not permit personal doubt to prevent you from reporting the concern/disclosure
- Make an immediate objective written record of the conversation using the Reporting a Concern Form . Make certain you distinguish between what the person has actually said and the inferences you may have made.
- Give the report to the Welfare Officer within 48 hours of the incident, who will ensure this is sent on to LTA Safeguarding Team.
- All information will be held safely.